Re: Trouble compiling MIPS cross-compiler

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: Trouble compiling MIPS cross-compiler
From: Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:13:08 -0500
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Adam Nielsen wrote:

Oh ok then - so what should I do to actually compile a MIPS kernel? I'd rather not have to download an entirely separate kernel source, so should I just go back to gcc-3.1.1 that supports -mcpu?

Will kernel 2.6.1 or whatever's next work properly in this respect? I realise that there are plenty of valid reasons for removing -mcpu, but it does create a big headache for us users, who just want the darn thing to 'go' ;-)

Get the anonymous cvs info for the linux-mips CVS server from the linux-mips.org homepage. That's the source you want to use for mips kernels. For 2.4, you'll need to checkout the linux_2_4 tag, otherwise HEAD will give you 2.6 source.

If you are using a setup that relies on -mcpu, I'd look more at changing the setup to use something else, since -mcpu is deprecated in gcc for mips for all newer toolchains from 3.3 and beyond.

--Kumba

--
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond