Re: Trouble compiling MIPS cross-compiler

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: Trouble compiling MIPS cross-compiler
From: Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen@optushome.com.au>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:19:15 +1000
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
> In your other mail you mentioned you were using gcc 1.1.2; I recommend
> gcc 2.95.4 instead.  gcc 1.1.2 needs a few workarounds in the kernel
> source in particular for 64-bit kernels and I've removed all of them
> around 2003-05-16 (in the Linux 2.4.20 age) so I'm not sure if egcs 1.1.2
> will still work.  Sympthom are compiler core dumps.  Newer doesn't harm ...

Yes, I saw that in the kernel docs but I tried it anyway since that's the
version used in the FAQ.  I ended up getting another error though, and
upgrading to gcc 2.95.3 (couldn't find .4) didn't help:

/usr/mips-linux/bin/as: unrecognized option `-mcpu=r3000'

I saw that this option was removed a while back, so I guess downgrading the
binutils is the only way to go (or upgrading gcc, but I got a ton of errors
compiling 3.3.2 so I guess that doesn't work...)

I'll try an older version of the binutils and see if that fixes it.  Thanks
for your help!

Cheers,
Adam.