Re: Trouble compiling MIPS cross-compiler

To: Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen@optushome.com.au>
Subject: Re: Trouble compiling MIPS cross-compiler
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:33:55 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 05:36:49PM +1000, Adam Nielsen wrote:

>       ./configure --prefix=/usr [...]
>
> then it appears to work perfectly...!
>
> No idea what's going on, but at least it works and hopefully it won't
> overwrite my existing compiler when I install it ;-)

gcc and binutils must be installed with the same prefix or gcc will not
find the target as and fallback to the native tools which of course
won't work at all as you saw.

In your other mail you mentioned you were using gcc 1.1.2; I recommend
gcc 2.95.4 instead.  gcc 1.1.2 needs a few workarounds in the kernel
source in particular for 64-bit kernels and I've removed all of them
around 2003-05-16 (in the Linux 2.4.20 age) so I'm not sure if egcs 1.1.2
will still work.  Sympthom are compiler core dumps.  Newer doesn't harm ...