Re: Broadcom 4702?

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: Broadcom 4702?
From: Charlie Brady <charlieb-linux-mips@e-smith.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:53:18 -0500 (EST)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Charlie Brady wrote:

> I haven't found signs of it in the archives, but is anyone aware of any
> efforts to fold in Broadcom's support for their 4702 processor, as used in
> Wireless gateways such as the Linksys WRT54G?

FWIW, there was some mention of this on lkml.

http://testing.lkml.org/slashdot.php?mid=313689

Looks like it may have quickly been put in the "Too Hard" basket. The
bulk of the 15Mb patch, however, is not a port per se, but addition of
kdbg and XFS, so there won't be anywhere near that much real work.

Here's an important one, however, which I alluded to yesterday:

+ifdef CONFIG_BCM4710
+GCCFLAGS       += -m4710a0kern
 endif

I haven't tried building and running a kernel built without the gcc
workarounds, so I don't know whether they are only required for early
silicon. My guess would be not. Is there anyone from Broadcom here who
knows or can find out?

--
Charlie