Re: Broadcom 4702?

To: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Subject: Re: Broadcom 4702?
From: Charlie Brady <charlieb-linux-mips@e-smith.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:39:09 -0500 (EST)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Jun Sun wrote:

> Since we are on this subject, I am curious if I buy a Cisco's router
> whether it is considered that Cisco distributs the binaries to me
> and whether I can demand for the source code if they are GPL'ed software.

You don't need to demand the source code to Cisco/linksys's linux based
wireless routers. It's available for download from the URL I provided at
the start of the thread.

> I can see arguments go either way.  Do open source community and
> industry have some concensus on this issue?

Please read the various licenses (GPL and other), and consult your lawyer.
And if you want a definitive answer (in your jurisdiction) get the license
tested in Court (and subsequent Appeals Courts). :-)

--
Charlie