Re: Correct assembler/compiler options for 4KC core?

To: "Zajerko-McKee, Nick" <nmckee@telogy.com>
Subject: Re: Correct assembler/compiler options for 4KC core?
From: Thiemo Seufer <ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:50:25 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Zajerko-McKee, Nick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use the following opcodes: movz, movn, clo, clz, madd, msub on
> both a 4KC and 4KeC core. What gas options should I use to get the above
> opcodes to work (mips4?  mips32?)

With a modern toolchain: -march=mips32.

> How would one link against closed source
> libraries that were compiled for mips2?

This will just work if you use a recent binutils version, and if the
libraries are O32 ABI conformant.

> Is there a list of what opcodes
> correspond to the various ISA's and gas flags?  The best reference I saw was
> from fsf that just mentions the -mips1/-mips2/-mips3/-mips4. I did notice
> in the latest gas docs -march option,

-mips32 is retained as an alias for -march=mips32.

> but I don't see that available in my
> toolchain.  I'm running on a development system with gas 2.9.5 and gcc 2.96.

gas 2.9.5 is _very_ old. It might be possible to use "-mips4 -mgp32" for
movn, movz, but I'm not sure if this actually works. For the other opcodes
the toolchain is just too old.

Thiemo