Re: Running Linux on an NCD HMX X-Terminal

To: Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen@optushome.com.au>
Subject: Re: Running Linux on an NCD HMX X-Terminal
From: Brad Parker <brad@heeltoe.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:40:25 -0500
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Adam Nielsen wrote:
>Does anyone know what my chances would be of getting a Linux kernel on it?  I
>found a couple of precompiled MIPS kernel images (one was ELF32 but the other
>was ELF64), however when I tried to boot them the terminal simply said "Load
>address out of range" and aborted.  I was using the precompiled images
>because I really want to know whether it'll work before I go to the trouble
>of installing all the cross-compilation tools.

I brought up linux on the PPC403 version of an NCD x-terminal.  As I recall I
had to write program to hack the elf header to get kernels to load.

The project is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/explora-linux/

And the program to hack the kernel elf file is

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/explora-linux/ncdhack/ncdhack.c

You may get lucky and find they used the same format for MIPS...

-brad