Tulip problems on Qube 2

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Tulip problems on Qube 2
From: Peter Horton <pdh@colonel-panic.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:19:35 +0000
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Is anyone looking at the problems with the Tulip network driver on the
Cobalt Qube 2 ?

I've started poking around but am not getting very far ...

The card works okay for a few minutes but then something gets very
confused in the receive ring. If the card is being pinged with packets
once a second it generates a receive interrupt for every packet, but the
first receive ring entry is marked busy so the packet's not passed up.
Once we've received 32 packets the NIC wraps round the receive ring and
the entry we've been waiting on gets marked as full. Now the receive
interrupt removes that last packet and the 31 preceding ones in one go.
Then we stall for another 32 seconds.

It looks like we're loosing some of the NIC's writes to the receive ring
status entries in main memory ...

P.