Re: Instability / caching problems on Qube 2 - solved ?

To: Peter Horton <pdh@colonel-panic.org>
Subject: Re: Instability / caching problems on Qube 2 - solved ?
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 03:27:17 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 04:26:05PM +0000, Peter Horton wrote:

> When mapping an executable image into user space the kernel reads data
> into the page cache and then maps the page into user space. For an
> executable page no copy is done as the mapping is read only.

Correct.

The kernel may also share writable pages until they're actually written to.
This is called copy-on-write (COW).  But executable pages usually aren't
COW so this case isn't meaningful for us.

> On my Qube
> the acting of reading data from the IDE via PIO causes the data to be
> placed in the D-cache (the RM52xx cache does write allocate), but the
> page never gets flushed to physical memory and so suffers from cache
> aliasing problems when it's mapped into user space.
>
> By enabling DMA on the IDE interface (it's off in the default Cobalt
> config) the kernel suddenly becomes stable (the page in the page cache
> never gets pulled into the D-cache).
>
> This seems to be a generic kernel problem - all architectures with VI
> caches and write allocate policies could trigger it.

Now that's where I'm getting some doubts about your explanation.  Assume
we're paging in a page that isn't mapped yet:

In this case do_no_page() will load the page.  Any DMA cache coherency
issues are supposed to be handled by the driver.  That means for an
executable page all that's missing is ensuring the I-cache is coherent.
This is done in these two lines:

[...]
                flush_page_to_ram(new_page);
                flush_icache_page(vma, new_page);
[...]
        update_mmu_cache(vma, address, entry);
[...]

   flush_page_to_ram is (and must be!) a no-op.  So the burden is entirely
   upto flush_icache_page and update_mmu_cache.  Note flush_dcache_page
   never enters the picture when mapping an executable because the file has
   not been written to.  So let's see flush_icache_page:

static void r4k_flush_icache_page(struct vm_area_struct *vma,
        struct page *page)
{
        /*
         * If there's no context yet, or the page isn't executable, no icache
         * flush is needed.
         */
        if (!(vma->vm_flags & VM_EXEC))
                return;

All this is only about I-cache coherence.  That is we do nothing at all if
this isn't an executable page.

        /*
         * Tricky ...  Because we don't know the virtual address we've got the
         * choice of either invalidating the entire primary and secondary
         * caches or invalidating the secondary caches also.  With the subset
         * enforcment on R4000SC, R4400SC, R10000 and R12000 invalidating the
         * secondary cache will result in any entries in the primary caches
         * also getting invalidated which hopefully is a bit more economical.
         */
        if (cpu_has_subset_pcaches) {
                unsigned long addr = (unsigned long) page_address(page);
                r4k_blast_scache_page(addr);

                return;
        }

This section is only needed for certain processors such as the R4000SC.
That is it's not of interest here either.

        if (!cpu_has_ic_fills_f_dc) {
                unsigned long addr = (unsigned long) page_address(page);
                r4k_blast_dcache_page(addr);
        }

But cpu_has_ic_fills_f_dc is always zero on Nevada.  Which means we're
going to flush the page's kernel address from the D-cache here.

        /*
         * We're not sure of the virtual address(es) involved here, so
         * we have to flush the entire I-cache.
         */
        if (cpu_has_vtag_icache) {
                int cpu = smp_processor_id();

                if (cpu_context(cpu, vma->vm_mm) != 0)
                        drop_mmu_context(vma->vm_mm, cpu);

... cpu_has_vtag_icache is zero on Nevada so the else case will be taken:
        } else
                r4k_blast_icache();

so we just blast away the entire I-cache.  Coherency the hard way.  At
this point we've established I-cache coherency for executable pages.

But what this was a non-executable page?  Then flush_icache_page would do
nothing at all - nor would update_mmu_cache.   The page will be copied to
userspace and ...  whoops, data may still be in the wrong cache segment,
game over.  This also explains a few other bugs.

> So where's the correct place to put the flush_dcache_page() ? :-)
>
> I don't know whether the problem could affect any other IO subsystems
> ... probably SCSI at least.

As you describe it it doesn't seem specific to any particular kind of
device - only DMA or PIO matters; and the DMA coherency thing happens to
paint over the issue which must be why it wasn't discovered for so long.