Re: Kernel 2.4.23 on Cobalt Qube2

To: Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.4.23 on Cobalt Qube2
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:41:37 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Linux/MIPS Development <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Kumba wrote:
> Rainer Canavan wrote:
> > I haven't tried my Qube2 yet, since that one's already wrapped up and
> > ready for Karsten Merker to pick up - he's going to send it to the
> > Tulip Expert, so those problems may go away soon, hopefully. As to
> > kernel versions starting about 2.4.17, I've never had the tulip driver
> > running reliably on my Qube2, but always got at least 2.4.18 and later
> > working properly on my nasRaq (there was some patching involved at times,
> > if I recall correctly).
>
> Are these patches lying around someplace by chance?  I've used the
> patches on Paul Martin's site (which enables detection of the cobalt's
> "modified" tulip), as well as a patch from Karsten which fixed serial
> console and also enabled the tulip driver.  Both of those patches don't
> seem to fix the tulip's issue of halting though, so either I have broken
> hardware, or I've done something unique in my setup that triggers the issue.

This `tulip halting', is it `transmit timed out', following by the chip being
thrown in 10-base2 mode and not recovering until ifconfig down/up?

I see that one on my PPC box, and I do have a fix. It's not perfect, but the
box now recovers within 3 minutes, instead of needing manual intervention.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds