Re: Kernel 2.4.23 on Cobalt Qube2

To: Peter Horton <phorton@bitbox.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.4.23 on Cobalt Qube2
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:39:35 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 04:54:25PM +0000, Peter Horton wrote:

> Has anyone got a 2.4.23 kernel running on the Cobalt Qube 2 ?
>
> I've cross compiled the latest kernel from CVS (using the default Cobalt
> config in the tree) on a PC using gcc 2.95.4 and binutils 2.12.90.0.1
> (both from Debian sources).
>
> The kernel boots okay from the HD, but I get strange segmentation faults
> and other errors whilst running Debian's "dpkg" to install packages. If
> I repeat the installation from scratch I get exactly the same errors in
> exactly the same places :-(
>
> I've changed both the memory SIMMs for new ones and the problem is still
> the same. I've done the same Debian install on an Au1100 board with no
> problems at all.
>
> Neither of the on-board ethernet ports work correctly with new kernel
> either. The primary port seems to work fine pinging single packets back
> and forth, but seems to stall for periods of approx 20 seconds when
> performing bulk transfers. I've been using an RTL8139 card in the PCI
> slot for network access.

I've mentioned it before - the Cobalt kernel is suffering a bit from
bitrot as nobody is taking care of it anymore since a while.  It's a
while since I did consulting work for Cobalt and I don't have production
Cobalt hardware but I think I still have a reasonable understanding of
the machine so I think I can help whoever dares trying - any takers?