Re: cross debugging r3912 cpu with gdb

To: Mark and Janice Juszczec <>
Subject: Re: cross debugging r3912 cpu with gdb
From: Daniel Jacobowitz <>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:39:33 -0500
On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 12:48:44PM +0000, Mark and Janice Juszczec wrote:
> Daniel
> >
> >Then what ARE you using on the target?
> >
> I have a kernel, busybox (for init and sh) and kaffe+associated files.
> These have all been cross compiled from i386 for mipsel-linux using gcc
> (2.95 or 3.0).
> >You have to connect to some particular debug stub.  That determines
> >what protocol to use.
> >
> I wanted to test starting the whole thing up and connecting with gdb before
> trying to actually debug anything.  So, I haven't begun to worry about
> debug stubs.

GDB has to connect _to_ something :)  If you don't have a stub, nothing
on your target speaks the GDB protocol.

> Frankly, I'm confused as to where they'd go.  It seems to me I want to let
> the kernel start up on the pda and then use gdb to tell it to start running
> kaffe.  If that's true, I need debug stubs in kaffe.  Am I completely wrong
> with this idea?

Yes.  I recommend you read the GDB manual, on the section describing
gdbserver.  GDB doesn't connect to the kernel at all, you start a
gdbserver process on the target with the path to kaffe.

Daniel Jacobowitz