cross debugging r3912 cpu with gdb

Subject: cross debugging r3912 cpu with gdb
From: "Mark and Janice Juszczec" <>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 22:28:33 +0000

Hi folks

I'm trying to track down a SIGSEGV generated by kaffe on the Helio pda. It uses a Phillips R3912 cpu.

The gdb 6.0 docs say configure as follows: configure --target=mips-idt-ecoff. I did and mips shows up as an available target.

Unfortunately, when I try to connect to the pda via a USB serial connection, I get:

(gdb) set debug remote 2
(gdb) target mips /dev/ttyUSB0
Expected "<IDT>", got "": FAIL
Expected "<IDT>", got "": FAIL
Expected "<IDT>", got "": FAIL
Failed to initialize.
Ending remote MIPS debugging.
You can't do that without a process to debug

Further research shows there is supposed to be a target named r3900. It doesn't show up under my available targets and

(gdb) target r3900 /dev/ttyUSB0

gives and error saying there is no target named r3900.

Can anyone out there give me advice about gdb and mips cross debugging?

Shop online for kids? toys by age group, price range, and toy category at MSN Shopping. No waiting for a clerk to help you!