Re: [patch] 2.4, head: PAGE_SHIFT changes break glibc

To: Daniel Jacobowitz <>
Subject: Re: [patch] 2.4, head: PAGE_SHIFT changes break glibc
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:45:00 +0100 (CET)
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>,
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> >  I suppose so, although being not that fond of insane numbers of syscalls
> > I wonder how sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/ia64/getpagesize.c gets away with
> > static binaries...  Perhaps we should ask glibc hackers?
> Look at elf/dl-support.c:_dl_aux_init? dl_pagesize should end up
> initialized for static binaries too.

 Thanks for the hint.  I can see _dl_aux_init() gets indeed called from
__libc_start_main() in my i386/Linux libc-start.o binary (in libc.a), but
it does not in my MIPSel/Linux one.  So there must be a bug somewhere in
2.2.5, perhaps fixed later.  I'll have a look at it.  Once fixed, I
guess we should choose the IA64 way.

 After a brief look at the sources I suspect sysdeps/mips/elf/ldsodefs.h
overrides sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/ldsodefs.h -- if that's the case, the
bug still exists in the trunk.  I'll work on a fix later, probably