Re: Compressed kernels

To: Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de>
Subject: Re: Compressed kernels
From: Dan Malek <dan@embeddededge.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:50:17 -0500
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, Colin.Helliwell@Zarlink.Com, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Wolfgang Denk wrote:

Well, instead of doing this in the Linux kernel, you could also do
it in the boot loader.  U-Boot supports both gzip and bzip2 decom-
pression.

Just to keep us busy, there are people that chose options
other than u-boot :-)  For embedded systems that are really sensitive
to boot time and amount of flash used, they may only have minimal
instructions for processor initialization and then jump to the
compressed kernel image.  I'm not going to discuss boot roms any
further (yes, I use u-boot every chance I get).

        -- Dan