Re: Pb1500 and PCMCIA booting?

Subject: Re: Pb1500 and PCMCIA booting?
From: Greg Herlein <gherlein@herlein.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:41:39 -0800 (PST)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
> just write some code (from the boot rom examples) that
> initializes the PCMCIA, knows how to peruse the file system of
> your choice, can read the kernel into memory and jump to it.
> Put this code someplace in the flash so you can start it from
> yamon.

Sounds good.  Looks like I should be able to create a two
partition CF card that has the kernel on one partition and the
root filesystem on another.  Then, do as you suggest and cook up
some raw code that can put the Au1500 in reset and access the CF
directly, read the kernel into memory and jump to it.  If the
kernel is rigged to then mount the root filesystem from the other
partition, then I have a workable system on one CF.

For the real product, the cooked code that yamon would load
would replace yamon and get loaded as a bootloader directly.

If anyone has suggestions, references, or comments, I'd love to
hear them.

Greg