Re: configuring 2 ethernet ports

To: Jan-Benedict Glaw <>
Subject: Re: configuring 2 ethernet ports
From: David Kesselring <>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:41:23 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-10-24 09:11:26 -0400, David Kesselring <>
> wrote in message
> <>:
> > I am trying to setup a pci wlan nic on a Malta board. I've compiled the
> > driver into the kernel and I have setup
> Which brand of wlan card?

It's an internal card.

> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1. After boot, when I look at
> > /proc/pci it looks like the system detected the card fine but ifconfig
> > only shows eth0 (the builtin port). How is the pci id linked to a
> > particular driver? What else do I need to do? I've scoured google but have
> In 2.4.x, drivers tend to only have internal knowledge on which hardware
> they work. So you need to give some 'alias eth1 wlanmodulename' in your
> /etc/modules.conf file.
I am using 2.4. Why does eth1 need a modules.conf file and eth0 doesn't. I
do not have loadable modules configured for my kernel. Do I have to? I
don't even have a current modules.conf file.
I also checked /etc/sysconfig/hwconf. This has the pci listing for my card
but does not recognize the vendor or id. I did add an entry in the kernel
source pci_ids.h for my card.

> For 2.6.x, drivers export this table and (in theory), the hotplug
> scripts *can* load a driver just upon the card showing up. However,
> normally (for static network cards not handled by the hotplug API),
> you'll just use the exactly same line, but in /etc/modprobe.conf.
> MfG, JBG
> --
>    Jan-Benedict Glaw    . +49-172-7608481
>    "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg
>     fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet! |   im Irak!
>    ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TCPA));

David Kesselring
Atmel MMC