Re: root login

To: David Kesselring <>
Subject: Re: root login
From: Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH <>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:15:34 +0200
Hmm, I remember that we had once a similar problem, but I can't remember the reason nor the solution. It appeared that we where not able to login as root, but user login was possible.
Logged in as user I was allowed to 'su' to root.
Perhaps this may be a hint, perhaps not, perhaps Bruno remembers the solution???

David Kesselring wrote:

I apologize for the many recent questions but I have another trivia
question for all of you. :-)
I have installed the RH7.3 miniport to a harddrive connected to a MIPS
Malta board. The kernel the comes with the port (2.4.18) works fine. I
then took the cvs code (2.4.22) for mips and built it for malta. The first
few builds worked ok (which means I could logon as root). Then I changed
something in the build process so that now the kernels which I build won't
allow me to logon as root. I've changed /etc/passwd to eliminate the root
pw. Does anyone know how a kernel can affect the login like this?

David Kesselring
Atmel MMC

Tiemo Krueger       Tel:  +49 48 73 90 19 86
mycable GmbH        Fax: +49 48 73 90 19 76
Boeker Stieg 43
D-24613 Aukrug      eMail:

Public Kryptographic Key is available on request