root login

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: root login
From: David Kesselring <dkesselr@mmc.atmel.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:58:13 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
I apologize for the many recent questions but I have another trivia
question for all of you. :-)
I have installed the RH7.3 miniport to a harddrive connected to a MIPS
Malta board. The kernel the comes with the port (2.4.18) works fine. I
then took the cvs code (2.4.22) for mips and built it for malta. The first
few builds worked ok (which means I could logon as root). Then I changed
something in the build process so that now the kernels which I build won't
allow me to logon as root. I've changed /etc/passwd to eliminate the root
pw. Does anyone know how a kernel can affect the login like this?
Thanks,

David Kesselring
Atmel MMC
dkesselr@mmc.atmel.com