Re: What toolchain for vr4181

To: Jan-Benedict Glaw <>
Subject: Re: What toolchain for vr4181
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:25:30 +0200 (MEST)
Cc: Linux-Mips <>
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-09 10:30:57 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven <>
> wrote in message
> <>:
> > On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, [iso-8859-1] Jørg Ulrich Hansen wrote:
> > >
> > > Where is a good starting point for a toolchain that will build and work?
> > > I would prefere to build it my self because at a later state I might build
> > > it under cygwin. But a prebuild does also have interest.
> >
> > At work we use plain binutils and gcc 3.2.2, which we build
> > ourselves
> > (host is Solaris/SPARC).
> Joined trees? Which configury? Unfortunately, toolchain questions are
> quite FAQs, but there doesn't really exist _that_ good HOWTOs which
> actually contain exactly helpful hints (eg. which versions and/or which
> additional patches are needed).
> If companies have some kind of scripts or the like they use, I'd really
> love to see them published. That'd really help all those guys out
> there:)

Binutils (binutils-
    configure --target=mips-linux --prefix=/wherever/you/want

Gcc (gcc-core-3.2.2.tar.bz2):
    configure --target=mips-linux --prefix=/wherever/you/want
--enable-languages=c --enable-shared --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld
--with-system-zlib --enable-long-long --enable-nls --without-included-gettext

I took the development libraries and includes from Debian:

I wrote very simple Perl clones of dpkg and dpkg-deb with just enough
functionality to get `dpkg-cross -i' working on Solaris. I don't know whether I
can share them, though.

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds