Can't boot RedHat 7.3 Linux on Mips Malta

To: <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Can't boot RedHat 7.3 Linux on Mips Malta
From: "Gil Lauer" <gil.lauer@ghs.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 13:51:02 -0700
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

I am new to Linux and a new subscriber to linux-mips.

I downloaded the RedHat Linux distribution that MIPS Technology posts at ftp://ftp.mips.com/pub/linux/mips/installation/redhat7.3/01.00/ and I cannot get through the installation process.  I can load and run the pre-built installation kernel, but when it tries to load the prebuilt Linux image via NFS I get the following error:

Welcome to the MIPS installation of RedHat RPMS.

Install method (CD-ROM, NFS) [CD-ROM] NFS

IP-address of target system: [192.168.201.68] 192.168.114.150

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

eth0: unknown interface: No such device

Since I have successfully loaded and run the prebuilt Linux installation image via Yamon, I know that the network connection is working.  Since this image is built to run on the Malta board, it is odd that it can’t find the built-in ethernet connection.

I have attached a complete log of the console output.  Any pointers on where I am going wrong would be welcome.

Gil Lauer