Re: mailing list spam

From: Keith Owens <>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 12:15:23 +1000
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:09:07 -0400,
Trevor Woerner <> wrote:
>I appreciate microsoft *.exe updates by email just as much as the next
>guy, however...
>I create email aliases for the different mailing lists I join. I
> noticed that I've been receiving a fair amount of spam to the email
> address I setup for this list. I figured it was because I posted
> something in the past, so I unsubscribed my old email address, created
> a new one, and re-subscribed.
>Without having made any postings since the change, I have just received
>spam to the new address I've setup for this list, which means someone
>has access to the membership list. Any chance this could be looked into
>and turned off?

Not necessarily.  This particular virus hunts around for anything that
looks like an email address and spams it.  My logs show a couple of
these virus loads from the list itself, does not filter
out this virus.

Oct  4 02:21:19 reject: header Content-Type: application/x-msdownload;
name="Upgrade53.exe" from[];