Re: Problem with depmod

To: Tommy Tovbin <tovbin@niisi.msk.ru>
Subject: Re: Problem with depmod
From: Keith Owens <kaos@sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 21:48:40 +1000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:18:04 +0400 (MSD),
Tommy Tovbin <tovbin@niisi.msk.ru> wrote:

>Hi, I've recompiled whole RedHat 7.3 on MIPS. Well, when I try to startup
>my system I`m getting an error like this:
>
>Finding module dependencies:  depmod: cannot read ELF header from
>/lib/modules/2.4.18/modules.dep

Short answer: 'mkdir /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel' or 'make modules_install'.

Long answer: You can feed depmod multiple module directories, so depmod
has to look for directory 'kernel' to work out the top level of each tree.
modules.dep and the other text files are only ignored at the top level
of each tree.  You have no 'kernel' directory under /lib/modules/2.4.18
so depmod does not ignore the text files.