64 bit operations w/32 bit kernel

To: <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: 64 bit operations w/32 bit kernel
From: "Finney, Steve" <Steve.Finney@SpirentCom.COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:31:57 -1000
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
What would be the downside to enabling 64 bit operations in user space on a 32
bit kernel (setting the PX bit in the status register?). The particular issue
is that I want to access 64 bit-memory mapped registers, and I really need to
do it as an atomic operation. I tried borrowing sibyte/64bit.h from the kernel,
but I get an illegal instruction on the double ops.

Also, assuming this isn't a horrible idea, is there any obvious single place
where "default" values in the CP0 status register get set?

Thanks,
sf