Re: ddb5477 fixes for 2.6

To: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>
Subject: Re: ddb5477 fixes for 2.6
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 02:21:48 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:33:44PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> Here's just enough to make the ddb5477 compile and boot.  The defconfig has
> lost the onboard network card, and you also need to turn on CONFIG_EMBEDDED
> to turn off CONFIG_VT.  Otherwise, conswitchp is uninitialized, causing a
> crash.  If I initialize it to &dummy_con, serial consoles stop working
> (???).

I'm not exactly happy about the way various unrelated options are lumped
together behind CONFIG_EMBEDDED; it seems worse than the problem it's
meant to solve ...

> Userspace doesn't work - lots of scripts segfault, portmap times out, there
> are a number of other glitches.  init=/bin/bash hangs.  But at least it's
> progress.
>
> I update CFLAGS for gcc 3.3/binutils 2.14.  I think asking people to use
> vaguely modern tools for 2.6 is reasonable.  And the old flags don't work
> any more.  This should work with 3.2 too.

As long as current gcc stays as slow as it is I'm going to stick to
something old.  And I'm not alone.

> The PCI and ac97 changes are pretty mindless merge work.
>
> Ralf, this re-adds CONFIG_PCI_AUTO.  Do you know where it went? :)  Probably
> a lot of other boards are sad about its disappearance also.

CONFIG_PCI_AUTO went the way to /dev/zero; it not only made the PCI
maintainers make funny sounds it simply seemed superfluous - the PCI
code is supposed to be able to fully configure a PCI bus itself if only
it's used properly.