Re: recent binutils and mips64-linux

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: recent binutils and mips64-linux
From: David Kesselring <dkesselr@mmc.atmel.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:28:49 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
I've been trying to follow this discussion but I don't see the consensus.
Probably from my inexperience. Can someone summarize what works now, as
opposed to what should be done? Is
the solution the same for the 2.4kernel/gcc2.95 and the 2.6kernel/gcc3+?
Also are all of these comments appicable to little and big endian systems?
Thanks,
David Kesselring

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Thiemo Seufer wrote:

> Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> > > The idea is to use the assembler's 32bit macro expansions for addresses.
> >
> >  So it is...
> >
> > > This reduces the .text size of a n64 kernel and improves the performance,
> > > without tricks like -Wa,32.
> >
> >  What if the final link leads to segments being mapped outside the 32-bit
> > address range?  We won't know about it when assembling.
>
> Then the resulting code is broken. It's the programmers responsibility
> to care about it. IMHO that's not a problem, this feature is only
> useful for kernels, and the tricks currently done there are worse.
>
> >  If the idea were to be implemented, there should be a flag added to the
> > header of object files that would forbid the linker to map addresses
> > outside the 32-bit range.
>
> Please don't add any header flag. An additional (.note?) section would
> be nice, but is not a priority for me.
>

> Thiemo

David Kesselring
Atmel MMC