Re: recent binutils and mips64-linux

To: Thiemo Seufer <ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Subject: Re: recent binutils and mips64-linux
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:19:38 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>, Atsushi Nemoto <nemoto@toshiba-tops.co.jp>, Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, binutils@sources.redhat.com
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Thiemo Seufer wrote:

> > > A third answer is to add a -msign-extend-addresses switch in the
> > > assembler.
> > > Together with -mabi=64 this would produce optimized ELF64 output.
> >
> >  Hmm, what do you exactly mean -- is that what I am worrying about?
>
> The idea is to use the assembler's 32bit macro expansions for addresses.

 So it is...

> This reduces the .text size of a n64 kernel and improves the performance,
> without tricks like -Wa,32.

 What if the final link leads to segments being mapped outside the 32-bit
address range?  We won't know about it when assembling.

 If the idea were to be implemented, there should be a flag added to the
header of object files that would forbid the linker to map addresses
outside the 32-bit range.