Re: recent binutils and mips64-linux

To: Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: recent binutils and mips64-linux
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:42:11 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Atsushi Nemoto <nemoto@toshiba-tops.co.jp>, Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, binutils@sources.redhat.com
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Eric Christopher wrote:

> >  I think "-mabi=64" is OK (I use it for over a year now) and for those
> > worried of every byte of precious memory, "-mabi=n32 -mlong64" might be
> > the right long-term answer (although it might require verifying if tools
> > handle it right).  Given the experimental state of the 64-bit kernel it
> > should be OK to be less forgiving on a requirement for recent tools.
>
> OK as in "it works for me", and OK as in "this is the correct usage" are

 Well, my "OK" is of both kinds. 8-)

> two different things. I believe that for a 64-bit kernel either -mabi=64
> or -mabi=n32 (-mlong64) are the right long term answer, part of Daniel's
> problem was that his bootloader couldn't deal with ELF64.

 I've successfully converted ELF64 Linux images to o32 ELF32, with
`objcopy' and then to COFF even, with `elf2ecoff' (provided with the Linux
sources).  The resulting COFF image used to work with the DECstation's
firmware.  I suppose the intermediate ELF32 one would work with
ELF-capable firmware, too.  Of course I had to make sure the addresses
seen by the firmware in the file headers fit the 32-bit address space
(KSEG0, actually; KSEG1 might work, too).