Re: recent binutils and mips64-linux

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: recent binutils and mips64-linux
From: Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:20:20 -0700
Cc: Atsushi Nemoto <nemoto@toshiba-tops.co.jp>, Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, binutils@sources.redhat.com
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 05:52, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Eric Christopher wrote:
>
> > > But mips64 kernel assumes that the kernel itself is compiled with
> > > "-mabi=64".  For example, some asm routines pass more than 4 arguments
> > > via aN registers.
> >
> > Yes, but then you aren't abi compliant are you? If you want n64 then say
> > n64. If you want o32 extended to 64-bit registers then use o64.
>
>  I think "-mabi=64" is OK (I use it for over a year now) and for those
> worried of every byte of precious memory, "-mabi=n32 -mlong64" might be
> the right long-term answer (although it might require verifying if tools
> handle it right).  Given the experimental state of the 64-bit kernel it
> should be OK to be less forgiving on a requirement for recent tools.

OK as in "it works for me", and OK as in "this is the correct usage" are
two different things. I believe that for a 64-bit kernel either -mabi=64
or -mabi=n32 (-mlong64) are the right long term answer, part of Daniel's
problem was that his bootloader couldn't deal with ELF64.

-eric

--
Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>