Re: recent binutils and mips64-linux

To: Eric Christopher <>
Subject: Re: recent binutils and mips64-linux
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:52:35 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Atsushi Nemoto <>, Daniel Jacobowitz <>,,
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Eric Christopher wrote:

> > But mips64 kernel assumes that the kernel itself is compiled with
> > "-mabi=64".  For example, some asm routines pass more than 4 arguments
> > via aN registers.
> Yes, but then you aren't abi compliant are you? If you want n64 then say
> n64. If you want o32 extended to 64-bit registers then use o64.

 I think "-mabi=64" is OK (I use it for over a year now) and for those
worried of every byte of precious memory, "-mabi=n32 -mlong64" might be
the right long-term answer (although it might require verifying if tools
handle it right).  Given the experimental state of the 64-bit kernel it
should be OK to be less forgiving on a requirement for recent tools.