RE: Information required

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: RE: Information required
From: Adeel Malik <AdeelM@avaznet.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:14:06 +0500
Cc: jsun@mvista.com
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

Hello Jun,

Thanks for the reply.I have checked for the unresolved function symbols like "printk" and "register_chrdev", and found that they are present in /proc/ksyms. So it appears to me that I may be compiling the module with incorrect parameters.

Below is the Makefile for the Loadable Module:

/*****************************************************************************************************************/

CROSS_COMPILE= /backup/buildroot-QuickMIPS/build/staging_dir/bin/mipsel-uclibc-

TARGET = example_driver

INCLUDE = /backup/buildroot-QuickMIPS/build/linux-2.4.20/include

CC = $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc -I${INCLUDE}

CFLAGS = -DMODVERSIONS -I${INCLUDE}/linux/modversions.h

${TARGET}.o: ${TARGET}.c

.PHONY: clean

clean:

rm -rf ${TARGET}.o

/****************************************************************************************************************/

Do you think that I need to modify the makefile or add some more options to CFLAGS.

I have ensured that the kernel is compiled with "module-option" turned on.

Also my module uses symbol versioning (sometimes called module versioning).

I use the following lines of code at the start of header file to accomplish this:

#if defined (CONFIG_MODVERSIONS) && ! defined (MODVERSIONS)

#include <linux/modversions.h>

#define MODVERSIONS

#endif

I have successfully cross-compiled user-space applications on the target platform. Only when i do the kernel work, this unresolved symbol (like printk, register_chrdev, etc..) phenomenon happens.

ADEEL MALIK,