Re: GCCFLAGS for gcc 3.3.x (-march and _MIPS_ISA)

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: GCCFLAGS for gcc 3.3.x (-march and _MIPS_ISA)
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:34:53 +0200
Cc: Thiemo Seufer <>,
On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 02:22:37PM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>  OK, I now recall <asm/asm.h> and <asm/regdef.h> as traditionally being
> often included in user assembly.  But then we should get rid of
> configuration dependency entirely, i.e. remove "#include <linux/config.h>"
> and a CONFIG_CPU_HAS_PREFETCH dependency.  Perhaps <asm/pref.h> would be
> desireable if we don't want wasting cycles.
>  It's a pity a more reasonable choice wasn't made for the location of
> these headers -- the asm and linux trees shouldn't really be used for
> userland.  For example Alpha has <alpha/regdef.h> that comes from glibc.

I completly agree on that.  Userspace should used <sys/regdef.h>,
<sys/fpregdef.h> and <sys/asm.h> for that which are the three de-facto
standard headers used throughout the MIPS world.

As for prefetching I like your suggestion of <asm/pref.h>.  The prefetching
stuff is a Linux extension of asm.h.  Moving it to it's own header file
along with the necessary bits for <linux/prefetch.h> would make a nice