Re: GCCFLAGS for gcc 3.3.x (-march and _MIPS_ISA)

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: GCCFLAGS for gcc 3.3.x (-march and _MIPS_ISA)
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:22:37 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Thiemo Seufer <ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > >  I'd go for CONFIG_MIPS64 here.
> >
> > This would work as well, but I prefer compiler intrinsic defines
> > over custom configury.
>
> I agree for this particular header file because it's been copied into
> user applications.  So ideally it should be able to live entirely without
> CONFIG_* symbols rsp. <linux/config.h>.

 OK, I now recall <asm/asm.h> and <asm/regdef.h> as traditionally being
often included in user assembly.  But then we should get rid of
configuration dependency entirely, i.e. remove "#include <linux/config.h>"
and a CONFIG_CPU_HAS_PREFETCH dependency.  Perhaps <asm/pref.h> would be
desireable if we don't want wasting cycles.

 It's a pity a more reasonable choice wasn't made for the location of
these headers -- the asm and linux trees shouldn't really be used for
userland.  For example Alpha has <alpha/regdef.h> that comes from glibc.