Re: [patch] Generic time trailing clean-ups

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: [patch] Generic time trailing clean-ups
From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:13:26 -0700
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, jsun@mvista.com
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 01:31:31PM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Jun Sun wrote:

<snip>

I am completely lost in your arguments.  Let us keep it to the basic.

Tell me what is wrong with the following, and why your proposal
is better than this:

1) get rid of calibrate_*() function
2) introduce a generic counter frequence calibration routine, which
   is only invoked when mips_counter_frequency is 0.
3) If any board is not happy with this calibration, it is free to
   do its calibration in board_timer_init(), which would set
   mips_counter_frequency to be non-zero.

Jun