Re: GCCFLAGS for gcc 3.3.x (-march and _MIPS_ISA)

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: GCCFLAGS for gcc 3.3.x (-march and _MIPS_ISA)
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:40:15 +0200 (MET DST)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Thiemo Seufer wrote:

> > > If the intention is to use mfc0 for 32bit kernels and dmfc0 for 64bit,
> > > the check should probably be
> > >
> > > #ifdef __mips64
> > > # define MFC0             dmfc0
> > > # define MTC0             dmtc0
> > > #else
> > > # define MFC0             mfc0
> > > # define MTC0             mtc0
> > > #endif
> >
> >  I'd go for CONFIG_MIPS64 here.
>
> This would work as well, but I prefer compiler intrinsic defines
> over custom configury.

 Well, for Linux it seems appropriate to use a kernel's configuration to
select run-time behaviour -- in this case it's CONFIG_MIPS64 that was
selected by a user that matters (i.e. that we use 64-bit addressing) and
not a compiler's configuration.  Just the opposite to what's expected in
the userland.