Re: RM7k cache_flush_sigtramp

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: RM7k cache_flush_sigtramp
From: Dominic Sweetman <dom@mips.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:45:33 +0100
Cc: Dominic Sweetman <dom@mips.com>, Adam Kiepul <Adam_Kiepul@pmc-sierra.com>, Fuxin Zhang <fxzhang@ict.ac.cn>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Ralf,

> Linux supports the traditional MIPS UNIX cacheflush(2) syscall through
> a libc interface.  Since I've not seen any other use for the call than
> I/D-cache synchronization.  I'd just make cacheflush(3) use SYNCI where
> available...

SYNCI just does what's required to execute code you just wrote: that's
a D-cache writeback and an I-cache invalidate.  It doesn't invalidate
the D-cache afterwards, which is required by the definition of
cacheflush(3).

I think it would be better to provide cache manipulation calls defined
top-down (by their purpose); but so long as we are stuck with calls
which are defined as performing particular low-level actions, it's
surely dangerous to guess that we know what they are used for so we
can trim the functions accordingly...

--
Dominic Sweetman
MIPS Technologies