Re: udelay

Subject: Re: udelay
From: Kumba <>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 16:41:59 -0400
Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

Any kernel messages (e.g. transmit timed out) from the tulip driver when it

None that I can see. If I'm using SSH, input/output just stops cold. In some cases, I have noticed that if you send a single character (like you were in a text editor when input/output died), and you wait a minute or so, it will appear. This seems to mean the interface hasn't died completely, but seems to havce slowed down to the point of complete unsuability, like >1bps would be my guess.

Restarting the interface fixes it for several seconds until it drops again. I usually disconnect from the serial console before trying any SSH activity, as serial console work + network activity can halt the kernel (which I have confirmed does occur in 2.4.21 CVS).

As an experiment, I did try replacing the udelay(1000) line in the cobalt patch with mdelay(1) to see if this udelay() brokeness was the issue, but it still drops out after several seconds.

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond