Re: CVS linux

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: CVS linux
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:42:14 +0200
On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:49:55PM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> > Log message:
> >     Coarsly sort out 32-bit-only, 64-bit-only and ``portable'' MIPS memory
> >     managment code.  Another few thousand lines of code bite the dust and
> >     it could be even more ...
>  Any justifiable reason for getting rid of arch/mips64?

Code duplication.  Thousands of lines.  I'm fedup of maintaining several
copies of a large number of files.  And stupid patches that keep forcing
things out of sync.  Multiply that pain with 2 for 2.4 and 2.6.  Not fun.

Btw, s390 also merged their two 32-bit and 64-bit architecture flavors
again; similar for parisc; it has been considered for x86-64 also.