Re: My god! 2.5 is big

To: Brian Murphy <>
Subject: Re: My god! 2.5 is big
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 02:36:12 +0200
On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 11:35:50PM +0200, Brian Murphy wrote:

> My gzip'ped 2.4 kernel is 250k smaller than 2.5 and it works.
> Perhaps I just need to remove some code... ;-)

Old saying - "software is like gas, it fills all available space" ;-)

The MIPS 2.5 is still in it's quite early stages; I suspect we can still
regain part of the extra size.  More important than the pure kernel size
(users booting from flash throw your rotten vegies now ;-) is the in
memory size.  The greatly reduced size of struct page for example will
result in a net gain of memory available for applications for systems of
more than about 48MB.