Re: KGDB problem

To: Patrick Hilt <patrick.hilt@pioneer-pdt.com>
Subject: Re: KGDB problem
From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:19:45 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org, jsun@mvista.com
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 02:11:18PM -0400, Patrick Hilt wrote:
> Hello!
> I just recently started working on Broadcom MIPS32 architecture (7115 chipset
> based STB, Broadcom modified 2.4.18 kernel) and have been trying to get kgdb
> setup to do some kernel source level debugging... with little success I might
> add ;-|. I compiled remote debug support in to the kernel, added kernel
> command line parameters and tried a dozen different configurations... but
> never got a "Wait for gdb client connection..." message at boot time.  The
> box
> happily continues to boot on. On the other hand, there seems to be support
> for debugging in the kernel source since there is a .../dbg_io.c
> implementation.

Kgdb support is board dependent.  Some boards, such as Malta, decide to
skip kgdb _even when_ you configure it.  To activate kgdb, you need to
pass command line args, such as "kgdb=ttyS1", to kernel.  What a smart idea. :)

Check the source for your board.

What I like to see is kgdb should be activated when it is configured.
However, "nokgdb" argument can be passed to kernel to skip it even when
kgdb is configured.

Jun