Re: Building a stand-alone FS on a very limited flash (newbie question)

To: unlisted-recipients:; (no To-header on input)
Subject: Re: Building a stand-alone FS on a very limited flash (newbie question)
From: Baruch Chaikin <bchaikin@il.marvell.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:47:31 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org, Rabeeh Khoury <rabeeh@galileo.co.il>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
All,

To conclude, the recommendation here is to:
o       Compile with uClibC or dietlibc
o       Use busybox
o       Gain extra 0.5 MB space

Another question is the file system itself. What is the recommendation here - JFFS, CRAMFS, anything else?...

Thanks for your answers!
-       Baruch.

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
In message <20030610125623.GC30175@rembrandt.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> you
wrote:

# ls -l lib | grep -v '^[ld]'
total 2433

I conclude ELDK consists of little more than the basic networking utilities,

The ELDK (Embedded Linux Development Kit) consists of MUCH more (more
than 400 MB if you install everything).

I was just talking about the  ramdisk  image.  You  are  right,  this
contains busybox plus basic networking utilities. For this framework,
the compressed image size is about 1.3 MB.

and the libc-related parts eat up most of the space. A more feature-rich
system probably can't afford to waste that much.

The oriiginal poster mentioned that he has 2.5 MB available, so if he
uses something like the framework I mentioned he  still  has  1.2  MB
compressed size available. This is a _lot_.

If memroy really gets tight, there are other  places  where  you  can
save space, for example the O.P. wrote:

 0.5 MB is allocated for the firmware code
 1.0 MB for the compressed kernel image
 2.5 MB for the (compressed?) file system

The reservation for both the firmware and for  the  kernel  image  is
more  than generous; 256 kB + 768 kB should be sufficient, too. Which
gives another 0.5 MB for application stuff.

Please understand me right: I do not want  to  deny  that  uClibc  or
dietlibc  are  fine  methods  to  optimize  the memory footprint of a
system. But for a starter it is probably much easier to use  standard
libraries as long as there is memory available.

For the current thread the keyword was "strip".

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone, or by e-mail and delete the message from your computer.