Re: do_IRQ query

To: Ranjan Parthasarathy <>
Subject: Re: do_IRQ query
From: Jun Sun <>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:12:41 -0700
On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 01:16:51PM -0700, Ranjan Parthasarathy wrote:
> Is it safe to call do_IRQ directly inside interrupt handlers without doing a
> irq_enter. I have seen ksoftirqd_CPUX crashes when I call the do_IRQ routines
> directly instead of the following sequence.
> irq_enter()
> do_IRQ
> irq_exit()

This is not right.  irq_enter()/irq_exit() is already called in
handle_IRQ_event(), which in turn is called by do_IRQ().  YOu
don't need this yourself.

The rest of do_IRQ() code is protected by closing interrupts.

Something must be wrong in your system.  If you show the crash message,
we might be able to tell more.

> Some code use it while some do not. The timer code in arch/mips/kernel/time.c
> uses it in ll_timer_interrupt. Some ports call this function directly in
> their interrupt handlers.

Those ll_timer_xxx functions are alternative routes (fast ones) to
do_IRQ(), and therefore it needs to protect itself by calling