Re: Linux on Indigo2 (IP28) - R10000

Subject: Re: Linux on Indigo2 (IP28) - R10000
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:38:19 +0200
Cc: "Thiemo Seufer" <>
Hi Thiemo.
> The solution is to use a special kernel with compiled in cache barriers
> (needs a not-yet written compiler patch) and careful managing of page
> table accesses from userspace (needs rmap, and thus 2.5 Kernel).

I noticed this guy talking about O2 and having some patches and precompiled
kernels. Are these in anyway related to what you are talking about?

> I'm working sowly on it, but I get constantly distracted by toolchain
> issues. :-)

I looked arround your website and saw "mips64-linux-ip28-2002-06-28.tar.gz"
whoo.. Sounds exiting =]

> > There was some talk in Febuary on a guy got Linux up and running on
> > Origin 200 - and some bootable cd's. That sounded prety interesting
> The Origin is easier to suppot, it has coherent I/O.

And you are probably going to tell me that this is the same reson that the
O2 is working, right?

> > Btw: I also got my hands on an Octane (IP30) with an R10000 (195 Mhz)
> > I haven't tried to install on this one, but that might be interesting
> This one is also I/O coherent, so chances are much better than for IP28.

Are you saying I might get this one working with the Debian boot-images
that I already tried, or?

Regards Martin Leopold.
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen