Re: Building a stand-alone FS on a very limited flash (newbie question)

To: Thiemo Seufer <>
Subject: Re: Building a stand-alone FS on a very limited flash (newbie question)
From: Wolfgang Denk <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:15:14 +0200
Cc: Baruch Chaikin <>,, Rabeeh Khoury <>
In message <> you
> > # ls -l lib | grep -v '^[ld]'
> > total 2433
> I conclude ELDK consists of little more than the basic networking utilities,

The ELDK (Embedded Linux Development Kit) consists of MUCH more (more
than 400 MB if you install everything).

I was just talking about the  ramdisk  image.  You  are  right,  this
contains busybox plus basic networking utilities. For this framework,
the compressed image size is about 1.3 MB.

> and the libc-related parts eat up most of the space. A more feature-rich
> system probably can't afford to waste that much.

The oriiginal poster mentioned that he has 2.5 MB available, so if he
uses something like the framework I mentioned he  still  has  1.2  MB
compressed size available. This is a _lot_.

If memroy really gets tight, there are other  places  where  you  can
save space, for example the O.P. wrote:

>   0.5 MB is allocated for the firmware code
>   1.0 MB for the compressed kernel image
>   2.5 MB for the (compressed?) file system

The reservation for both the firmware and for  the  kernel  image  is
more  than generous; 256 kB + 768 kB should be sufficient, too. Which
gives another 0.5 MB for application stuff.

Please understand me right: I do not want  to  deny  that  uClibc  or
dietlibc  are  fine  methods  to  optimize  the memory footprint of a
system. But for a starter it is probably much easier to use  standard
libraries as long as there is memory available.

For the current thread the keyword was "strip".

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email:
"What the scientists have in their briefcases is terrifying."
- Nikita Khrushchev