Re: Building a stand-alone FS on a very limited flash (newbie question)

To: Baruch Chaikin <>
Subject: Re: Building a stand-alone FS on a very limited flash (newbie question)
From: Jeff Baitis <>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:49:51 -0700
Cc:, Rabeeh Khoury <>, Baruch Chaikin <>
I highly recommend looking at the UClibC project. Erik's code is a pleasure to
work with.

It is even possible to build libstdc++ with UClibC, if you are so inclined...
And, a number of commercial projects use UClibC , such as Linksys:

and Belkin:

<shameless YRO plug>

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 07:37:19PM +0200, Baruch Chaikin wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm using MIPS kernel 2.4.18 with NFS file system mounted on a RedHat
> machine. This works fine, but is unsuitable for system deployment. Do
> you have hints for me where to start, in order to put the file system on
> flash? The platform I'm using is very limited - only one MTD block of
> 2.5 MB is available for the file system, out of a 4 MB flash:
>     0.5 MB is allocated for the firmware code
>     1.0 MB for the compressed kernel image
>     2.5 MB for the (compressed?) file system
> For example, I've noticed LibC itself is ~5 MB !
> Thanks for any tip,
> -    Baruch.

         Jeffrey Baitis - Associate Software Engineer

                    Evolution Robotics, Inc.
                     130 West Union Street
                       Pasadena CA 91103

 tel: 626.535.2776  |  fax: 626.535.2777  |