Building a stand-alone FS on a very limited flash (newbie question)

To: unlisted-recipients:; (no To-header on input)
Subject: Building a stand-alone FS on a very limited flash (newbie question)
From: Baruch Chaikin <bchaikin@il.marvell.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 19:37:19 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org, Rabeeh Khoury <rabeeh@galileo.co.il>, Baruch Chaikin <bchaikin@galileo.co.il>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi all,

I'm using MIPS kernel 2.4.18 with NFS file system mounted on a RedHat machine. This works fine, but is unsuitable for system deployment. Do you have hints for me where to start, in order to put the file system on flash? The platform I'm using is very limited - only one MTD block of 2.5 MB is available for the file system, out of a 4 MB flash:
   0.5 MB is allocated for the firmware code
   1.0 MB for the compressed kernel image
   2.5 MB for the (compressed?) file system

For example, I've noticed LibC itself is ~5 MB !

Thanks for any tip,
-    Baruch.