Re: Single stepping in mips

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: Single stepping in mips
From: "Krishnakumar. R" <krishnakumar@naturesoft.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:07:55 +0530
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi,

> On most MIPS processors there is no singlestepping feature.  You have to
> manual insert a breakpoint into the instruction stream and deal with the
> exception.
>
>   Ralf

But if we insert a Break point into the instruction stream the exception
will be generated before the execution of the real instruction.
That means.
If we have the following set of instructions

addr1: instr1
addr2: instr2
addr3: instr3

if we replace instr1 by break.

addr1: break
addr2: instr2
addr3: instr3

we will get a break point exception as soon as the break
in addr1 is executed (correct me if I have wrongly understood !! )

But the need is to raise an exception after instr1 (at addr1) is executed.
One solution is using a break at instr2 (at addr2).
But suppose instr1 is a jmp then there is no point
in keeping a break at addr2.
(inorder to raise an exception after instr1 is executed).

So is there some other clean way for this ?

Regards and Thanks
KK