Re: Yet another fix

To: ilya@theIlya.com
Subject: Re: Yet another fix
From: Keith Owens <kaos@sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 09:50:26 +1000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 07:30:23 -0700,
ilya@theIlya.com wrote:
>For starters, I'm talking about 2.5.51 here.

Sorry,  thought you were talking about 2.4 kernels.

>Secondly, what does register_ioctl32_conversion have to do with
>emulating 32bit modutils?

See above, I thought this was 2.4.

>Code in quesion is this:
>int register_ioctl32_conversion(unsigned int cmd, int (*handler)(unsigned i=
>nt, unsigned int, unsigned long, ...))
>{
>       int i;
>       if (!additional_ioctls) {
>               additional_ioctls =3D module_map(PAGE_SIZE);
>               if (!additional_ioctls)
>                       return -ENOMEM;
>               memset(additional_ioctls, 0, PAGE_SIZE);
>       }

I cannot find register_ioctl32_conversion in 2.5.51.

>As far as I can tell, There is nothing that prevents us from
>replacing module_map with vmalloc, or even get_free_pages,
>but I am not sure. There must be some reason, why it is there :)
>Ralf, it's question for you.

Without seeing the code that uses register_ioctl32_conversion (it is
not in Linus's kernel), I would be guessing.  But I suspect that you
are right, it should use vmalloc.