Any complications of using CONFIG_MIPS_UNCACHED..?

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Any complications of using CONFIG_MIPS_UNCACHED..?
From: "Ashish anand" <ashish.anand@inspiretech.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:16:49 +0530
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hello,

I saw a good bit of discussion about CONFIG_MIPS_UNCACHED but
still i am yet to know...

If I want to use CONFIG_MIPS_UNCACHED (ignoring performance)
what all the side-effects and any restrictions that linux should
take care in software ?

I observed something surprising on my R4k mips system(virtually indexed
caches), after i use this option my driver never got status updation by
device in transmit and receive decriptors in system memory , Irrespective
of I (flushed+invalidate) caches or not...

if i don't use CONFIG_MIPS_UNCACHED then before checking status I need to
(flush+invalidate) cache and whole thing works great...

Regards,
Ashish