Re: lwl-lwr

To: Gilad Benjamini <>
Subject: Re: lwl-lwr
From: Will Jhun <>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:34:36 -0700
Some free or "MIPS-like" CPUs don't implement it because of a patent
problem. I've seen at least one implementation on that has
this (missing) feature.

Probably if the compiler were to emit lwl and lwr code via
__attribute__((packed)), these instructions would have to be emulated by
the kernel on such a CPU. I imagine this would be quite a bit worse than
just doing two normal loads and extracting the desired word.